WHITE CAKE RECIPE
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1/2 cup shortening
1 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup milk
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup milk
4 egg whites
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
- Spray two round cake pans with pan release.
- Place the white cake flour, the sugar, the shortening, salt, and 2/3 cup of the milk in a mixing bowl
- Beat for 2 minutes with an electric mixer at medium speed.
- Stir in the baking powder.
- Add egg whites, ½ cup milk, the vanilla and beat for 2 more minutes.
- Pour batter into the cake pans.
- Bake in 375 degrees oven for 25 to 30 minutes. Let cakes cool on a wire rack. When they are cool, split layers. (now you have four rounds) Spread the cooled Lemon Filling between the layers and frost with creamy white frosting and decorate with coconut.
LEMON CURD FILLING RECIPE
1 cup sugar
1 cup fresh lemon juice
Zest 3 lemons
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- In a glass bowl, use a whisk or beater to make the sugar and eggs mixture smooth.
- Whisk in the butter, lemon and zest
- Cook in the microwave for one minute at a time, stir each time until the mixture has thickened.
- Store for up to three weeks in the refrigerator.